September 09, 2022
If you are an expecting Mama counting down the days until your new baby arrives, you may want to use this time to plan ahead with meal preparations! Once you welcome your new little one, finding the time to cook may be tough. Luckily, with a little bit of prep work now, you can plan ahead to have nutritious meals stashed in the freezer so that all you will have to do is pull them out and heat them up as needed. It is so important for Mamas to have healthy and healing foods to enjoy while recovering from birth. Additionally, if you already have other children in the home to feed, it is helpful to have the cooking coved so that you can just focus on spending time with your newest little family member. Here are a few easy-to-make recipes that are packed full of nutrients:
1. Turkey & Quinoa Tacos
This recipe can be used for breakfast tacos, lunch or dinner! Plus, it is high in protein, which is vital for helping new parents to stay powered up and energized. Feel free to add in any of your family’s favorite taco ingredients and if you have other little ones who will be eating this meal, ask them to suggest some yummy add-ins. This recipe should make enough taco filling to be used for about two meals. Simply gather the following ingredients, follow steps 1-4 and enjoy!
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 cup of fresh salsa
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 8 oz water
- 2 tbsp of your preferred taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
*The only extra ingredient you will need to have on hand when you are ready to eat these are tortilla shells or hard taco shells for putting the taco filling in!*
- Heat oil on a skillet
- Add the ground turkey and cook it fully
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients and mix well over the heat until quinoa is cooked
- Remove skillet from heat and place in a freezer safe container
- Pop it into the freezer and pull it out to heat and serve when ready
2. Cook Ahead Oatmeal Casserole
This recipe is great for breakfast time, however it is sweet, so it can be enjoyed as a healthy dessert, too. Plus, it tends to be a big hit with big siblings of the new baby!
- 2 cups of cooking oatmeal
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups of coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp real vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp organic honey
- 1 cup of your favorite berries (strawberries, blueberries and blackberries are great add-ins!)
- Combine all of the ingredients, aside from the berries, in a mixing bowl and mix well
- Carefully fold in the berries
- Place the mixture into a freezer safe container until ready to cook
- When ready to eat, thaw the mixture in the fridge first and then bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until oatmeal is fully cooked
- Serve warm with a glass of milk and enjoy!
3. Cheeseburger Soup
This healthy spin on cheeseburger soup is hearty and filling! All you need to do is follow a few quick steps and then cook it in the crock pot.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese of your choice
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp salt and pepper
- Place all ingredients into the crock pot and cook on low for about six hours or until fully cooked
- Transfer into a freezer safe container and freeze
- When you are ready to eat this, place the mixture into the crock pot and heat fully
- Serve with an extra sprinkle of shredded cheese!
4. Chicken Enchilada Bake
This recipe is a fun way to switch up your regular meals! Using common ingredients, this is a delicious recipe to prepare and serve in a hurry.
- 1 16 oz can of enchilada sauce
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded tortillas (just pull them apart into bite size pieces to shred!)
- Place all ingredients aside from the shredded tortillas into the crock pot
- Cook on low for six hours
- Place mixture into freezer safe container and freeze
- When you are ready to eat, reheat the ingredients over the stove and add in shredded tortilla. Simmer for one hour
5. Garlic Parmesan Pasta
This last recipe is a total comfort meal! Just a few ingredients are all you need to bring this dish to life.
- 3 boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 1 8 oz package regular cream cheese block
- 1 8 oz jar of garlic parmesan pasta sauce
- 6 oz half and half
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 box of your preferred pasta
- Place chicken, block of cream cheese, pasta sauce, half & half and parmesan cheese into the crock pot
- Cook on low for six hours
- Mix with a hand mixer until chicken is fully shredded and then place mixture into freezer safe container and freeze
- When ready to serve, simply re-heat the mixture over the stove or in the crockpot and cook the box of pasta according to box directions. Serve the parmesan chicken over the pasta. Add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese before eating.
We hope these easy-to-make meals help to inspire you to get cooking! Looking for more tips on meal prep and food ideas for your growing family!?
Checkout these posts below:
The Dirty Dozen vs The Clean Fifteen: When To Buy Organic Fruits & Veg - Organicbabyfood.shop
Nutrition Ideas during Pregnancy and Postpartum - Organicbabyfood.shop
Happy Cooking, Mama!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.